Delaware County Car Accident Attorney

truck accidentsA car accident can turn your world upside down in an instant. Car wrecks often result in serious and painful injuries, property damage and expensive medical bills. In addition, you may lose wages if you cannot return to work due to your injuries.

Following an accident, you may be unfamiliar with Pennsylvania’s legal system or how the insurance claims process works.  All too often, insurance companies don’t act “like a good neighbor” when it comes to paying legitimate insurance claims. The insurance industry is notorious for low-balling consumers who try to handle car accident claims for themselves. For this reason, if you are injured in a car accident you shouldn’t try to negotiate with an insurance company alone. Attorney Brent Wieand is a car accident lawyer that will help level the playing field. Brent has years of experience handling car accident injury claims for people who were seriously hurt by negligent or reckless drivers.

Don’t Settle for Less. Hire an Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer!

Not all injury lawyers are the same. The level of dedication, legal knowledge and expertise varies greatly from lawyer to lawyer. The auto accident lawyer you select could be a key factor in whether you are fully compensated for your losses. Attorney, Brent Wieand, is a leader in personal injury law with significant trial experience. He has dedicated his practice to representing clients who have been injured by careless or reckless motorists. Brent has the skills and legal experience to take on big insurance companies and handle even the most complex car accident injury lawsuit. Brent is different from other law firms in Delaware County because he does not run a high volume legal factory. He gives each client the personalized attention they deserve.
Brent Wieand has been selected as a Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” honor is limited to less than 3 percent of all Pennsylvania lawyers. When you are hurt in a car accident put a “Super Lawyer” to work for you. He is proud to serve all of Delaware County including the areas of Chester, Haverford, Middletown, Radnor, Upper Darby and Upper Providence.  If you were hurt in a vehicle accident, contact Brent Wieand for a free legal consultation at 1 (215) 666-7777 or fill out the online contact form.

Pennsylvania Law Limits the Time you Have to File a Personal Injury Claim

If you are injured in a collision, you should consult with an attorney immediately – before you give a recorded statement to an insurance company. Pennsylvania law limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. In most cases, the Pennsylvania statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of accident. However, you should not wait until the last minute to speak with an injury lawyer.
The sooner evidence is preserved after an accident, the better your chances are of proving your case in court. As time passes, memories of incident fade and key evidence may disappear. A lawyer can help you preserve the evidence you need to prove your case in court.

UM/UIM Insurance

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage protects the insured party and family members living in the same household if they are injured by a motor vehicle.  UM/UIM insurance will cover losses if you are injured by an underinsured or uninsured motorist, hit by a car as a pedestrian, or become the victim of a hit-and-run accident.

  • UM coverage protects you if you are injured by an uninsured driver.
  • UIM coverage protects you if you are injured by a driver who does not carry sufficient insurance coverage to pay for the injuries caused to you.

Pennsylvania drivers are not required to carry UM/UIM benefits but it is highly recommended.  Almost 7 percent of Pennsylvania drivers are uninsured. In addition, the PA minimum liability requirements are grossly insufficient to cover damages in the event of a serious car accident. Thus, it is very important to protect yourself against uninsured and underinsured drivers by carrying UM/UIM insurance.
If you choose not to carry UM/UIM benefits, this must be done in writing. Insurers must have a consumer sign a “sign down” form if UM/UIM coverage is rejected. If an insurer fails to do so, the insured is deemed to have elected UM/UIM insurance in an amount equal to the bodily injury liability coverage.
Delaware County car accident attorney, Brent Wieand, recommends that all PA motorists carry a minimum of $100,000/$300,000 in UM/UIM insurance.  By electing UM/UIM coverage, you and the family members in your household will be protected in the case of a serious automobile accident.  If a serious car accident happens, this insurance coverage will help pay for medical treatment, damages for pain and suffering, loss of earnings/future earnings and more.

Are you Limited Tort or Full Tort?

Whether you selected limited or full tort may make a big difference as to whether you can recover compensation for pain and suffering. Limited tort insurance limits your right to sue for pain and suffering if you are hurt in a car accident. Limited tort coverage is less expensive than full tort. Therefore, insureds often select limited tort option to save on pricey premiums. However, selecting limited tort may have serious consequences if you are injured in an accident and can’t recover needed compensation.
One exception to limited tort occurs when a person suffers a serious injury. Unfortunately, many people who are hurt have not experienced a “serious injury” under the law.  In PA, serious injuries include when a person experiences a serious impairment of a bodily function, permanent serious disfigurement or death.  Under these circumstances a limited tort accident victim will be awarded damages for pain and suffering.
In addition, there are six exceptions to limited tort in which someone injured in a car accident retains the right to sue for pain and suffering regardless of whether they suffered a “serious injury.” These exceptions include:

  • if persona at fault was operating an out of state vehicles
  • if person at fault is convicted of drunk or stoned driving, or accepts Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD)
  • if person at fault was an uninsured motorists
  • if persona at fault was trying to injure or kill themselves or others
  • the claim is against persons in the business of designing, manufacturing, maintaining or repairing motor vehicle (if your claim is for a defective vehicle); or
  • if the injured persons is an occupant of a private passenger motor vehicle (such as a bus, motorcycle, taxi or tractor trailer.)

If you or a family member were injured in a vehicle accident but chose limited tort insurance, you should always consult with a lawyer. Despite legal obstacles, experienced car accident attorneys can often help limited tort accident victims recover compensation for pain and suffering.

Free Consultation with a Delaware County Personal Injury Lawyer

A car accident can be a traumatizing. Your litigation experience doesn’t have to be. Whether you were injured in a Delaware County slip and fallcar accidentmotorcycle accident, SEPTA bus accident or truck accident – Brent can help make the claims process as painless as possible.  For a free legal consultation call 1 (215) 666-7777 or fill out the online contact form with a description of your claim.
*This is not legal advice and should not be used as legal advice. Attorney Brent Wieand’s law office is based in Philadelphia. He is proud to serve clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Schedule free consultation
Get Started Today!