If you have suffered an injury due to winter weather conditions, you should contact the Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers from the Wieand Law Firm, LLC. Ice and snow on sidewalks, stairs, and driveways are frequent winter hazards. Injuries from these falls can be serious and require a long recovery time. Slip and fall lawyers from our firm can help you recover damages from the injuries you sustained in a winter slip and fall accident.
Winter weather-related slip and fall accidents often happen on sidewalks, in parking lots, or in entryways of businesses that have not be adequately tended to. Property owners are expected to exercise reasonable care regarding maintaining safety on the property where the public, especially customers, can reasonably be expected to use. This duty extends to periodic inspection of the property and removal of ice and snow accumulations to protect the public from the risk of falls and injuries. When property owners fail to fulfil this duty, they may be liable for negligence.
In many cases, property owners outsource snow and ice removal to plow companies to keep their sidewalks and parking lots clear. Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers can investigate the specifics of your situation and identify who the liable party or parties may be. A Pennsylvania personal injury attorney will be able to determine if the property owner’s conduct was reasonable based on the circumstances at the time of your incident.
Common Injuries from Winter Slip and Falls
It’s easy to sustain a serious injury from a winter slip and fall accident. If you sustained an injury, be sure to seek medical help immediately. Common injuries that our slip and fall lawyers see include:
- Fractures – commonly of the arm, leg, ankle, ribs, or foot
- Back injuries
- Neck or spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injures – such as a concussion
These injuries can be quite traumatic and require medical interventions, including surgeries or physical rehabilitation. Many people may be unable to work for a time following their injury and lose wages. Slip and fall lawyers can seek compensation for injuries sustained from a fall on ice or snow when it was caused due to someone else’s negligence. You may be able to obtain compensation for
- Hospital bills
- Physician bills
- Cost of durable medical equipment (such as a hospital bed)
- Cost for physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Compensation for lost wages
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall on Ice:
- Seek medical attention for your injuries and have them documented by a medical professional
- Contact a slip and fall lawyer about your legal rights. Slip and fall lawyers at the Wieand Law Firm can discuss the merits of your case and whether you are able to file a claim.
- Speak with any witnesses to obtain their contact information
- Report the slip and fall to the property owner or manager
- Use your cell phone to take pictures of the accident location. Winter conditions can quickly dissipate, and it’s important to document the condition of the property at the time of the accident.
What is the Pennsylvania Hills and Ridges Doctrine?
The Hills and Ridges Doctrine provides that rules for which a property owner can be held liable for slip and falls in winter conditions. To be held responsible, the property owner must have allowed for snow or ice accumulation that was excessive and large enough to obstruct travel, creating danger for pedestrians. Secondly, the property owner knew or should have known about the existence of these conditions on their property. Finally, the reason for the fall was because of the snow and ice.
In some circumstances the hill and ridges doctrine does not apply. For example, if a defect in a sidewalk from improper maintenance led to the layer of ice on a sidewalk, the plaintiff may still have the grounds for a claim. Seeking the advice from slip and fall lawyers from the Wieand Law Firm can help you understand if your situation has merit to bring a claim.
Comparative Negligence in Slip and Fall Cases
Victims can be held partially liable for the injuries they sustained in a Pennsylvania slip and fall case. The legal team for the defense will try to demonstrate that you are responsible for some or all of the blame for your injuries. Some arguments commonly used against slip and fall accidents victims include:
- The plaintiff was wearing shoes that were inappropriate for weather conditions
- The plaintiff was at a location where they were not permitted or not expected to visit
- The plaintiff was distracted and not paying attention to their surroundings
- The plaintiff was injured where the hazardous situation was reasonably obvious
Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers are familiar with these tactics and with the state’s modified comparative negligence laws. Contact the attorneys at the Wieand Law Firm to understand how comparative negligence for your injuries may impact your case.
Slip and Falls on Government Property
If your fall occurred on government property, such as a city sidewalk or parking lot, additional limitations apply when trying to file a personal injury lawsuit. There are additional requirements regarding the timing of the claim and there may be legal caps on the amount of compensation that the victim can recover in damages. Consulting Philadelphia slip and fall lawyers is especially important in these types of cases to fully understand your legal rights.
Free Consultation with our Slip and Fall Lawyers
Contact the slip and fall lawyers at the Wieand Law Firm today for a free consultation. Our attorneys will spend time to understand the specific circumstances surrounding your case and develop a legal strategy to obtain the best possible outcome. Our services are risk free; we only get paid if we earn money for you. Call us today at 215-666-7777 or send us a message to speak directly with an attorney.