Lyft Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident while a passenger of a rideshare program, you may need a Lyft accident attorney. Rideshare services have become increasingly common in most cities, and the convenience of using these services has bolstered their popularity. Unfortunately, Lyft passengers have sustained injuries during rideshare accidents. Filing a claim with a rideshare program can be complex, and a Lyft accident attorney can help.
Steps to take after a Lyft collision:
Follow these general safety protocols if you have been involved in a Lyft accident:
- If possible, move the car to the shoulder of the road, away from traffic, to prevent further collisions.
- Turn on the car’s hazard lights.
- File a police report. It’s important to have a police report documenting the accident. The police report will describe the factors in the accident and will be useful if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Get insurance information from the Lyft driver and other driver involved in the accident.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not require emergency medical care, you should still have an evaluation by a physician. Some injuries are not immediately apparent, and some injuries worsen over time. It’s important to have a physician’s report describing your injuries caused by the collision.
- Report the accident or collision to Lyft.
- Take pictures if it is safe to do so. Pictures should include vehicle damage prior to moving the vehicles. You should also photograph your injuries, if possible.
Whose insurance applies in a Lyft accident?
If the Lyft driver was at-fault during the accident, in most cases, the passenger is not responsible. Lyft has a standard insurance policy that includes liability insurance. However, the liability insurance is split between the driver’s personal insurance and Lyft’s insurance policy. This is where it can get tricky, and a Lyft accident attorney may be needed. If the driver’s insurance denies the claim because of business use exception, Lyft should assume full responsibility. For Lyft’s liability insurance to apply, the driver must have the app online with a ride pickup in-process. Lyft’s primary liability insurance policy currently has a $1 million per accident limit.
If the other driver is at fault, that driver’s insurance policy applies. Lyft’s UM/UIM coverage will apply If the other driver is an uninsured (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM). With so many variables involved, hiring a Lyft accident attorney can help you determine who is financially liable for payment for your injuries.
Why should you fire a Lyft accident attorney?
In rideshare accident cases, there are typically more adjusters than a typical car accident. It’s not uncommon to deal with 7 – 9 insurance claim adjusters for one Lyft accident claim. A Lyft accident attorney can help navigate these claims and ensure that your claim isn’t unduly delayed.
Additionally, a 1999 Insurance Research Council study entitled “Attorney Involvement in Auto Injury Claims” revealed that car injury victims who were represented by a lawyer received settlements more than 3.5 times larger than who did not use a lawyer.
Call us today for a free consultation
Our team at Wieand Law LLC has experienced Lyft accident attorneys that can help file a claim if you have been injured while a passenger in a Lyft vehicle. Our injury lawyers will carefully investigate and handle all aspects of your claim. We demand compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future lost income. Our lawyers won’t settle your claim unless it fairly compensates you.