Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were riding your bicycle when a car collided with you, you may have been severely injured. You might currently be hospitalized, or you may have been admitted for a short time immediately after your accident. Depending on how badly you were hurt, your medical bills and other injury damages could be significant. If you unable to work because of your injuries, you may not be earning income which makes it challenging to make ends meet much less pay for costly medical treatment. What are your options for getting compensation from the driver who hit you? Even if they deny that they are responsible, you may have legal recourse for recovering your damages from them. Contact a law firm today and request a consultation.
What is the importance of establishing liability?
When sufficient proof is provided that establishes who was at fault for an accident, the at-fault party can be held liable for any damages that they caused others. Establishing liability is always important but it is especially so when the at-fault party denies responsibility. When a bicycle accident lawyer accepts a case, it is predicated on a reasonable belief that establishing the client’s right to compensation should be possible. From there, it is a matter of collecting proof and documenting the facts. Once completed, the injury claim will clearly establish which motorist was responsible for causing the accident, and will demand payment for damages you suffered.
What is included in a personal injury claim?
In addition to the proof of liability on the part of the motorist, the claim will also include all of the damages suffered by the bicyclist in the accident. The victim’s bicycle accident lawyer will assign a dollar value to each damage item. The value is based on legal precedent and current costs for any of the following that may apply to the victim:
- Surgical costs to date plus any future surgeries that will be necessary.
- Medical devices including wheelchair rental, crutches, walker, shower bench, etc.
- Modifications to the home to make it accessible. For example, an exterior ramp for wheelchair access to the home or a stair lift to access upper floors of the house.
- Modifications to the individual’s vehicle to enable them to operate it.
- Physical and occupational therapy.
- Prescription medications.
- The amount of income they have not been able to earn due to their injury and recovery time.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress including depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Do I need to hire a bicycle accident lawyer?
This depends on the seriousness of the injuries you sustained. If they were relatively minor, you probably do not need a lawyer. However, if your damages are severe and will be costly, the at-fault party’s insurance company is more likely to deny your claim. Hire a top rated bicycle accident lawyer in Salt Lake City, UT to protect your right to full compensation.
Thanks to Rasmussen & Miner for their insight into personal injury claims and bike accident injuries.