Each medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia PA at Wieand Law Firm focuses on the medical negligence and malpractice law that offers a way to hold doctors and hospitals accountable for the services they provide. A medical malpractice case is a specialized personal injury case. Physician and hospitals are responsible for providing ethical and appropriate treatment for patients. When they fail to do so, it may be considered medical negligence or malpractice.
What Are the Causes of Medical Malpractice?
Some of the reasons a patient may need to retain a Philadelphia PA medical malpractice lawyer to file a medical malpractice claim include:
- Medication errors
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
- Failure to inform a patient of potential side effects and risks of treatment,
- Misreading x-rays or other diagnostic testing
- Performing medical services without patient consent.
- Childbirth injuries
- Wrong patient or wrong site surgeries
- Surgical accessories or equipment left inside a patient
- Use of a defective surgical implant
If physicians and hospitals aren’t particularly diligent in taking the utmost caution and exercising a high standard of care, they may find they are subject to medical malpractice claims.
Who is Liable in a Medical Malpractice Suit?
Medical malpractice involves professional negligence. Just about any health care provider can be liable in a medical malpractice lawsuit. Medical malpractice is considered an act or omission by the health care provider that does not live up to the accepted standard of care. Medical malpractice claim may be filed against numerous kinds of medical professionals, including:
- Physician assistants
- Psychiatrists and psychotherapists
- Ophthalmologist and optometrists
- Physical therapists
- Mental health institutions