Filing a Car Accident Claim
When you’ve been hurt in a car accident because of another person’s carelessness, you can seek compensation for your losses by filing an injury claim. Filing a claim is difficult, though, so contact a car accident lawyer in Iowa who has the knowledge, experience, and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.
We all know the statistics- car crashes are frequent, dangerous, and costly. Everyone always says you’re more likely to be injured in a car accident than fall off a cliff, be struck by lightning, or be in a plane crash. But that doesn’t make a vehicle collision any less terrifying when it happens to you.
The truth is that car accidents are common because of the behaviors of careless drivers. They would be a whole lot less common if people drove a little more safely and if other negligent parties put safety first. That, unfortunately, doesn’t always happen. People act carelessly, and others are hurt or killed because of that negligence.
What Should I Do After A Car Accident?
- The first thing you should do after a car accident is see if anyone needs medical attention. If you, your passengers or anyone else involved in the crash are injured, call 911 right away and tell them you need an ambulance. Don’t try to move anyone who’s been injured unless they’re in immediate danger or you’re trained to do so.
- If you can still drive your car, you may need to move it to make sure you aren’t blocking traffic. Otherwise, it is best to leave the crash scene as is until police arrive to fill out an accident report.
- Get the names and contact information of everyone involved in the accident along with any witnesses. Exchange insurance and contact information with others involved in the crash, but try not to talk about the accident.
- Stick to the facts of what happened and never say anything that could be construed as admitting fault. Determining fault for a car accident can be complex, and you’re not in a good position to make that call at the scene of the crash. When the police arrive, ask them how you can obtain a copy of the official accident report.
- If you have a smartphone or camera with you, take pictures of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles involved, and any visible injuries. Be sure to also take pictures of tire marks, relevant street signs, and traffic signals.
- Write down the details you can remember from the accident, including the approximate time it happened, where it happened, and if weather or road conditions were a factor in the crash.
- See a medical professional as soon as possible and let them know that you were in a car accident. Go to the emergency room, urgent care, or your primary care physician. Make sure you tell your doctor about all your symptoms, from the top of your head to the tips of your toes, even if they seem minor (such as stiffness, headaches, or dull pain). Car accidents sometimes cause internal damage that has delayed onset symptoms, so getting checked out by a doctor is important for your health. If your doctor doesn’t take your injuries seriously, get a second opinion.
- Notify your insurance company of the accident promptly, but again, stick to the facts of what happened. Don’t say anything regarding fault.
- Finally, contact a car accident lawyer in Iowa right away. Retaining legal counsel early in the process will give you the best chance of resolving your case successfully.
Seek Legal Advice
Do not rely on an insurance adjuster to tell you the value of your case. Let an experienced car accident lawyer in Iowa such as Johnston Martineau, LLP. review your claim and explain what full compensation should include. If you have been offered a settlement, do not agree to anything or sign anything without talking to a good lawyer about it. Seek legal advice now.