Abuse against elderly people with disabilities is a growing problem. Recent studies have found that elder abuse may affect as much as 10% of the older adult population. Those with certain disabilities have an even higher rate of victimization. In fact, it’s estimated that nearly half of people with dementia experience some type of abuse.
According to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) there were more than 1,000 open investigations into patient abuse or neglect at skilled nursing facilities at the end of 2022. When NJ nursing home abuse occurs, immediate action is needed. Contact the nursing home neglect lawyers NJ trusts at the Wieand Law Firm to stand up for your loved one’s rights and recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries.
Who Investigates NJ Nursing Home Abuse?
The New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) is the primary state agency responsible for regulating and overseeing long-term care facilities, including nursing homes, in New Jersey. The NJDOH publishes annual reports on the quality of care in long-term care. If you suspect NJ nursing home abuse or neglect, you can contact the NJDOH’s Division of Health Facilities Evaluation and Licensing or the New Jersey Department of Human Services’ Division of Aging Services for assistance.
The nursing home neglect lawyers NJ relies on at the Wieand Law Firm has a long history representing victims of nursing home abuse. Our attorneys investigate claims of nursing home abuse and neglect that have caused serious injuries.
Types of abuse and neglect cases that our firm investigates includes:
- Physical abuse from staff members that results in serious injury
- Physical abuse from other nursing home residents that results in serious injury
- Neglect resulting in:
- Falls with serious injury, such as a brain bleed or fracture
- pressure ulcers
- a resident wandering away from the facility and becoming injured
- serious infection or sepsis
- worsening of a clinical condition
- Sexual abuse from nursing home staff members or other residents
- Overmedication or medication errors
- Malnutrition or Dehydration from Neglect
How Can I Tell If a Facility Has Been Reported for NJ Nursing Home Abuse?
Prior to admitting a loved one into a nursing facility, it’s wise to determine if the nursing home has a history of abuse and neglect. There are several ways to check if a nursing home has been reported for abuse. Here are a few options:
- Contact your state’s regulatory agency: Each state has a regulatory agency that oversees nursing homes and long-term care facilities. You can contact your state’s agency to find out if a nursing home has been reported for abuse. The agency may be able to provide you with information about any investigations or complaints that have been filed against the facility.
- Check with Medicare.gov: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) maintains a database of nursing homes that participate in Medicare and Medicaid. You can search for a nursing home on the CMS website and see if there are any reports of abuse or neglect. The website may also provide information about the nursing home’s quality ratings and inspection reports.
- Use online resources: There are several online resources that provide information about nursing home abuse and neglect. Some websites, such as Nursing Home Compare and the National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center, provide information about nursing home complaints and investigations. You can also search for news articles or legal cases related to the nursing home to see if there have been any reports of abuse.
- Ask for recommendations: If you have friends or family members who have experience with nursing homes, you can ask for their recommendations. They may be able to provide you with information about nursing homes in your area that have a good reputation and no history of abuse.
It’s important to do your research about a facility’s history of NJ nursing home abuse to make an informed decision when choosing a nursing home for yourself or a loved one.
Safe Care Cam Program – Detect NJ Nursing Home Abuse
The Safe Care Cam program operated by the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. This program designed to help New Jersey residents who suspect that a loved one is suffering from NJ nursing home abuse, mistreatment, or neglect by a health care provider. The program provides consumer access to micro-surveillance cameras that can be easily hidden to detect and record abuse.
The Safe Care Cam program loans out these cameras for 30-day periods to consumers that request them. A staff member provides the consumer with a camera, memory cared, and training on how to operate, view, and save the footage. If requested, the camera and memory card loan can extend for an additional time.
To participate in the program, contact the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs at: 856-482-4373 and leave a message that includes your name and contact information. You will need to provide documents, such as personal identification and proof of legal guardianship to participate in the program.
Nursing home neglect lawyers NJ depends on at the Wieand Law Firm understand that recorded footage of nursing home abuse can provide key evidence needed to succeed in a NJ nursing home abuse lawsuit.
Resources for Reporting NJ Nursing Home Abuse
There are multiple agencies and resources that you may contact to help report and investigate NJ nursing home abuse.
- Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of the New Jersey Office of the Insurance Fraud Prosecutor – responds to issues of fraud, abuse or neglect of Medicaid recipients. Contact their hotline at 1-8777-55-FRAUD.
- New Jersey Adult Protective Services – runs programs in each New Jersey county to investigate abuse – 60-588-6501
- New Jersey Long-Term Care Ombudsman – a valuable resource for nursing home residents and their families to file complaints and report abuse. Call 1-877-582-6995.
- NJ Department of Health – licenses and regulates all long-term care facilities in New Jersey. Call 1-800-792-9770.
- Local Law Enforcement – report any crimes against the elderly to local law enforcement. In the event of an emergency, call 911.
- The Wieand Law Firm – Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers NJ Trusts. Call 215-666-7777 for a free case review and consultation if you suspect that nursing home abuse or neglect caused a serious injury or the death of your loved one.
Contact the Wieand Law Firm, LLC Today
If your loved one suffered a serious injury from NJ nursing home abuse or neglect, contact the Wieand Law Firm for qualified legal representation. The nursing home neglect lawyers NJ trusts at our firm fight aggressively to seek compensation for your injuries. Our attorneys are knowledgeable of federal and state regulations governing NJ nursing home abuse. Don’t let the nursing home get away with mistreatment. Call 215-666-7777 or send a message via the online form on the webpage to speak directly with an attorney.