When you’re looking for a nursing home for your parent or grandparent, you want to ensure they’ll receive nothing but the best of care. That means steering clear of nursing homes that have earned poor ratings for issues like understaffing, health violations, and low-quality service for residents. Using Medicare Compare ratings, Philadelphia nursing home abuse lawyer Brent Wieand has compiled 59 of the lowest-ranked nursing homes within 25 miles of Philadelphia, including facilities in New Jersey.
19 Philadelphia Nursing Homes with 1-Star Ratings from Medicare Compare
The nursing homes listed below have received very low scores from Medicare Nursing Home Compare, a tool provided on the federal government’s Medicare website. All of the facilities featured on the list are located in, or within 25 miles of, Philadelphia. All have received overall ratings of one or two stars, out of five possible stars. Two stars means “below average,” while one star is “much below average.”
One asterisk indicates that the nursing home is located in Philadelphia. Two asterisks means it is located in New Jersey, within 25 miles of the city. Otherwise, all homes are located in Pennsylvania, also within 25 miles of Philadelphia.
Federal fines have been indicated where facilities were penalized during the past three years. Several facilities have been fined on multiple occasions.
- Avista Healthcare**
- Broomall Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Cheltenham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center*
- Chestnut Hill Lodge Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Cooper River West**
- Cooper River West was fined $35,588 on June 30, 2015.
- Elkins Crest Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Fair Acres Geriatric Center
- Glendale Uptown Home*
- Laurel Square Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center*
- Laurel Square was fined $6,013 on December 4, 2014.
- Majestic Center for Rehabilitation and Sub-Acute Care**
- Majestic Oaks Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Maplewood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center*
- Meadowview Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Meadowview was fined $152,523 on June 12, 2015.
- This facility was previously fined $52,650 on December 9, 2014.
- Mount Laurel Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare**
- Mount Laurel was fined $20,150 on April 21, 2015.
- This facility has also been identified as a “Special Focus Facility,” which means it has “had a history of serious quality issues” as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Suburban Woods Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Towne Manor East
- Voorhees Center
- Voorhees Center was fined $8,418 on September 22, 2015.
- Wesley Enhanced Living at Stapeley*
- Wesley Enhanced Living Main Line
40 PA and NJ Senior Health Care Centers with Below Average Quality Rankings
The following facilities have received two-star ratings from Medicare Compare.
- Alaris Health at Cherry Hill**
- Aristacare at Cherry Hill**
- Bala Nursing and Retirement Center*
- Baptist Home of South Jersey**
- Baptist Home was fined $35,100 on April 8, 2014.
- The facility was previously fined $3,250 February 18, 2014.
- Burlington Woods**
- Care One at Evesham**
- Caring Heart Rehabilitation and Nursing Center*
- Chapel Manor*
- Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center*
- Deptford Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare**
- Edgehill Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Elmwood Hills Healthcare Center, LLC**
- Fairview Care Center of Papermill Road
- Golden Living Center – Rosemont
- Golden Living Center – Stenton*
- Health Care Center at White Horse Village
- Hopkins Center
- HRH Transitional Care Unit
- Ivy Hill Rehabilitation and Nursing Center*
- Kennedy Health Care Center**
- Kresson View Center**
- Lutheran Crossings Advanced Living at Moorestown**
- Manorcare Health Services – Wallingford
- Manorcare at Wallingford was denied federal funding on December 5, 2013.
- Manorcare Health Services – King of Prussia
- Manorcare Health Services – West Deptford**
- Manorcare Health Services – Yeadon
- Marcella Center**
- Marcella Center was fined $3,965 on August 12, 2014.
- Naamans Creek Country Manor
- Premier Cadbury of Cherry Hill**
- Prospect Park Health and Rehabilitation Center
- River’s Edge Nursing and Rehabilitation*
- Silver Lake Center
- Somerton Center*
- St. Francis Center for Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- St. Francis Center was fined $1,105 on December 5, 2013.
- Sterling Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Sterling Manor**
- The Belvedere Center, Genesis Healthcare
- Towne Manor West
- Virtua Health and Rehabilitation – Mount Holly**
- The Voorhees Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Voorhees Care and Rehabilitation was fined $11,700 on December 2, 2014.
On one hand, poorly-rated nursing homes are capable of making dramatic improvements. On the other, it may be easiest to simply avoid facilities that have a known history of problems or deficiencies, especially considering how many highly-rated options there are to choose from. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. In any case, you should always visit a nursing home in person before deciding it is right (or wrong) for your loved one.
Once you’ve ruled some nursing homes out, your next step is to figure out some facilities you are interested in. My article on the best nursing homes in Philadelphia, which lists facilities that have earned five-star ratings from Medicare Compare, can help you get started.
Contact a Philadelphia Nursing Home Abuse Attorney if Your Elderly Parent is Being Neglected
If you’re worried that your mother, father, grandparent, or other elderly loved one is being abused or neglected at his or her nursing home, don’t allow the situation to escalate. Contact an experienced Bucks County nursing home abuse lawyer as soon as possible for guidance. Compensation may be available if your loved one was injured. To talk about your loved one’s care facility in a free and confidential legal consultation with an experienced Cherry Hill nursing home abuse attorney, call the Wieand Law Firm, LLC at (800) 481-5206.
*Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes and is not legal advice. The Wieand Law Firm, LLC is based in Philadelphia, PA, and proud to serve clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.*