When providing dental services to a patient, dentist and oral surgeons must provide a certain standard of care. Despite their professional skills, dentist can make mistakes leading to immense serious pain, further unplanned treatment and significant financial burden.
If you have been a victim of dental malpractice the Wieand Law Firm can help. Our firm will look into all aspects of your claim and make sure your case is handled in the courts to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Common Dental Malpractice Claims
There are many types of dental malpractice. Some of the most common errors which can lead to a dental malpractice lawsuit include:
- Anesthesia mistakes
- Pulling the wrong tooth
- Pulling teeth unnecessarily
- Permanent tooth damage
- Nerve damage to the tongue or taste buds
- Failing to identify gum disease, oral cancer
What is Dental Malpractice?
A certain degree of risk is involved in any dental procedure. However, not all bad outcomes are ripe for a dental malpractice claim. Dental malpractice occurs when a dentist or oral surgeon fails to competently perform his or her medical duties and as a result, a patient suffers an injury. At times, even something as a simple cavity filling can go wrong. In order to prove a dental malpractice claim, you must prove all of the following:
- A patient-doctor relationship – This requires showing that, in the case of the doctor you are suing, you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This area only becomes questionable in cases where a consulting physician did not treat you directly.
- The dentist breached the standard of care – A dentist must perform his work the same level as other prudent dentists within the community. If a dentist fails to do so, this is called a breach of the standard of care. To file a lawsuit for dental malpractice, a patient will need to get the opinion of a medical expert to prove that the injury was caused by doctor negligence.
- The breach of the standard of care caused specific damages – In order bring a claim for malpractice, you will need to show that you incurred actual damages as a result of the breach of the standard of care. The specific types of harm or damage inflicted by a medical malpractice case may include; loss of earnings, additional medical bills, physical pain or mental anguish.
Discuss your Case with a Philadelphia Dental Malpractice Attorney
Dental malpractice litigation is serious business. With the dentist reputation at stake, it is likely that he/she will vigorously deny any wrong doing. Specialized malpractice insurance companies hire only experienced attorneys, and generally mount an aggressive defense. This is why you need an attorney with experience and resources to fight for your interests.
For a free case consultation, call the Wieand Law Firm and speak with an experienced dental malpractice lawyer at 1 (800) 481-5206.
The Wieand Law Firm serves clients throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey. We are proud to represent clients in Southeastern Pennsylvania including Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia, PA, as well as the New Jersey areas of Camden, Pennsauken, Gloucester and Camden NJ.