Medical Malpractice Lawyer Philadelphia PA
When people go to the hospital or doctor’s office to get treated for an illness or injury, they expect to come out feeling better. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen all the time. Sometimes medical professionals make mistakes that end up hurting their patients. If you were recently injured while under a doctor’s care, you should speak to a medical malpractice lawyer Philadelphia PA residents turn to.
Common Causes of Medical Negligence
Thousands of patients endure medical injuries every year. Here are some of the top causes of medical negligence a medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia PA sees:
- Surgical Errors: Surgery is sometimes necessary to treat an injury or illness. However, if surgeons and other medical staff members are fatigued or not paying attention, mistakes can happen during the surgical procedure. Common mistakes made during surgery include operating on the wrong body part, leaving surgical instruments in the body and performing the wrong procedure.
- Misdiagnosis: A misdiagnosis occurs when a doctor diagnoses a patient with the wrong condition. The patient then receives the wrong treatment. Even when the right diagnosis is made by a new doctor in the future, it’s often too late.
- Medication Errors: Medications can treat a wide variety of health conditions. However, when a doctor makes medication errors, it can have serious consequences on the patient. Examples of medication errors include prescribing the wrong medication, prescribing the incorrect dosage and giving inadequate instructions on how to take the medication.
- Anesthesia Errors: Most surgical procedures require general anesthesia. However, if anesthesia isn’t administered properly or the patient isn’t monitored, it can cause devastating consequences, like organ failure, brain damage and heart attacks.
- Childbirth Injuries: Childbirth injuries are some of the most tragic forms of medical malpractice. Common childbirth injury claims a medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia PA deals with include failure to diagnose congenital disabilities, failure to perform a timely C-section and failure to use proper delivery procedures. Even if the child doesn’t die, he or she can still suffer long-term disabilities.
When to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
If you believe you’re the victim of medical malpractice, it’s important to file a lawsuit as soon as possible. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations to file a medical negligence lawsuit is two years. After that time period has passed, you’re no longer eligible to receive compensation.
Speaking With a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical malpractice lawsuits are some of the most complex types of personal injury cases. That’s why it’s in your interest to hire an experienced medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia PA. He or she can help you file your lawsuit in a timely manner, ensure your rights are protected and improve your chances of getting a fair settlement.
If you were injured while under a doctor’s care, schedule a free consultation with a medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia PA at Wieand Law Firm today.