New Jersey is well known for hot summer weather which is perfect for taking a dip in the pool. Unfortunately, a swimming pool accident can turn what would be a fun summer day into a heartbreaking and tragic experience. Drowning or near drowning accidents can cause unimaginable grief to family and friends, leaving them to question what went wrong.
If a family member has suffered a serious or fatal pool accident an experienced swimming pool accident lawyer in New Jersey may be able to help in this difficult time. Frequently, swimming pool accidents are caused by the negligence of another person, business or property owner. If this is the case, there is often liability insurance coverage that may be able to help cover losses incurred such as overwhelming medical bills, funeral costs, lost earnings or earnings capacity, support and pain and suffering.
Contact an Experienced Pool Accident Attorney
The Wieand Law Firm provides strong legal representation to people who were injured and family members of those killed in swimming pool accidents. We are proud to serve clients throughout the state of New Jersey including areas of Burlington, Camden and Gloucester County.
Our firm is lead by attorney, Brent Wieand, an experienced swimming pool drowning lawyer who has devoted his practice to advocating for personal injury and wrongful death cases. In recognition of his efforts, attorney Wieand has been honored as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” from 2013 – 2016.
The Wieand Law Firm has years of experience helping clients who were injured by the negligence of others. In a recent swimming pool drowning case, attorney Wieand was able to successfully negotiate a $345,000 settlement for the father of a young boy who drowned in a hotel swimming pool. Notably, the case was hotly contested throughout litigation as the hotel alleged that the child was trespassing and that it owed him no duty of care.
Upon representation, we will immediately begin investigating your case and preparing it for trial. This can include collecting medical records and police reports, interviewing witnesses, surveying the scene of the accident and working with pool safety experts. Although you can never replace a loved one, we will work diligently to make sure negligent parties are held accountable and that you are compensated for your devastating loss.
To discuss a pool accident drowning or injury case, the Wieand Law Firm at 1(800) 481-5206. The consultation is completely free. In addition, we work on a contingency fee basis. This means you will never pay a fee unless he recovers a settlement or judgment on your behalf.
What Types of New Jersey Drowning Accident Cases do you Handle?
The Wieand Law Firm handles pool accident cases that result in drowning, near drowning or serious injury. Near drowning accidents are those where the victim survives for more than 24 hours after suffocation by submersion in water. Some common events that lead to swimming pool accidents or increase the likelihood of drowning in a pool include:
- Inexperienced swimmers and young children left unsupervised at the pool
- Lifeguard negligence
- Failure to employ a lifeguard
- Defective pool parts
- Failure to have a readily available first aid kit
- Failure to have a phone readily available
- Lack of security fence
- Lack of supervision at the pool
- Horseplay and rough pool play
- Drug and alcohol use
- Pools lacking a rope line that separates shallow end from the deep end
Pool Safety Saves Lives
We hope that you never need to call us concerning a swimming pool accident or drowning. The easiest way to prevent a pool tragedy is to follow pool safety rules. Some helpful pool safety tips are listed below, however, this is not an all inclusive list.
- The best protection against drowning is to learn how to swim. It is recommended that all adults and children 3 years of age and over should enroll in swimming lessons.
- Make sure your home swimming pool is secure with a self latching, self closing gate that is high enough to keep children out. In addition, keep pool water clean and clear so you can easily see underwater.
- Follow pool rules such as:
- no diving in the shallow end;
- no running by the pool;
- no horseplay; and
- swim with a buddy.
- ALWAYS supervise young children and inexperienced swimmers when using a pool or hot tub.
- Make sure a first aid kit, flotation devices, telephone and scissors (to cut hair if it gets caught) are readily available.
- Take a lesson on how to properly perform CPR.
- Don’t use the pool while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol.
- Teach children what to do in the case of a pool accident or emergency.
By following these simple safety tips, you can help ensure that everyone has a fun and safe time at the pool this summer.
*Disclosure: This article does not constitute legal advice. You should always consult an attorney if you have questions regarding a pool accident or drowning case. The Wieand Law Firm is based in Philadelphia PA. He is proud to serve clients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.